Utopia - Mrs. Terry

Utopia A Thematic Unit of Study for Advanced Middle School Language Arts Mrs. Terry Assessments: Utopia Research Writing My Utopia project Literary Response Essay What is a utopia?

What is a dystopia? Free-write in your composition book to answer the questions above. Include examples of each from literature (think back to last spring), movies and television. Are these examples of utopias or dystopias? Explain. Imagine by John Lennon

John Lennon was the lead singer of the popular 60s band, The Beatles. He was a proponent of world peace and tolerance. He was assassinated on December 8, 1980. His legacy lives on. The Ones Who Walk Away from Omelas by Ursula K. LeGuin Describe the Omelas culture and society

using specific lines from text to support your answer. Would you describe this as a utopian or dystopian society? Explain. Opening Activity Please respond to the following quote in your composition book (heading: Jefferson Response

Writing) Quote by Thomas Jefferson: "Democracy is nothing more than mob rule, where 51% of the people may take away the rights of the other 49%. What did Jefferson mean by this? How does this quote relate to the story The Ones Who Walk Away from Omelas by Ursula Literary Terms

Define and explain the following terms and explain how they relate to the story The Ones Who Walk Away from Omelas: Narrative voice (POV) Symbolism Allegory Paradox Scapegoat You may need to search the internet for help Reading Reminder, Due Next Monday:

Chapters 4-6 in Animal Farm Chapters 6-10 in The Giver Utopia: The Search for a Perfect Society by Jeffery Stroebel In your composition book, create a tree map using the title of the article above as your heading. Read the article from page 5 of the Utopia textbook.

As you read, or after you read, think of which branches you would like to include in your map. Remember that the branches are subheadings. Complete your map with details from each of your headings.

Recently Viewed Presentations

  • Title Page - Schulich School of Medicine & Dentistry

    Title Page - Schulich School of Medicine & Dentistry

    More samples are needed to determine if this protocol is an effective way to test contrast agents. Gd-DTPA as an MRI Contrast Agent Lindsay Dods April 6, 2010 Supervisors: Robert Ta, Masters Student Robert Bartha, Ph.D. Introduction MRI - Magnetic...
  • Välkomna! Brf Fridhem extra stämma och ekonomimöte

    Välkomna! Brf Fridhem extra stämma och ekonomimöte

    Rolf Andersson Ordinarie 2012 2 - Nils Ericsson Ordinarie 2011 2 Omval 2 år Berith Gredenmo Ordinarie 2012 2 - ... Natalie Zuo Suppleant Omval Förslag till valberedning, väljs på 1 år. Annika Borg Nyval. Irene Castellanos Nyval. Harald Edquist...
  • Scientific Method

    Scientific Method

    A VALID experiment will have 2 . variables (factors in the experiment that change.) Variables. Independent Variable - manipulated variable, the part of the experiment that is changed on purpose.
  • 1-31-13 Groups: Annalisa , Devan, Jacqueline, Josie ,

    1-31-13 Groups: Annalisa , Devan, Jacqueline, Josie ,

    V for Vendetta. Beowulf. For a least one discussion, your group will give a presentation to demonstrate what you might do with your novel(s) in class. You are free to meet in a computer lab (to generate lists of books)...
  • UWE Bristol International Talent - uwe.ac.uk

    UWE Bristol International Talent - uwe.ac.uk

    InfoHub.uwe.ac.uk. Around 100 volunteering opportunities a month. Use your normal UWE Bristol login details. Professional Volunteering. Organisations across Bristol are looking for students with . ... I want help to prepare my CV for the UK workplace.
  • Blue Notes 12 Bar Blues Slavery - PC\|MAC

    Blue Notes 12 Bar Blues Slavery - PC\|MAC

    Rhythm and Blues developed through dance halls in Chicago. It mixed the Gospel style of music with blues instrumentation. It was much faster and louder than the blues. Delta Rhythm Boys - Taking . ... Blue Notes 12 Bar Blues...
  • Ch. 1 Major Characters

    Ch. 1 Major Characters

    Blackout Poem. You will take the text from TKM and create a poem. Step 1: Go through and lightly underline. any words or phrases that stand out to you
  • HEADCOM PRESENTATION - Amazon Web Services

    HEADCOM PRESENTATION - Amazon Web Services

    DBE PRESENTATION TO THE SELECT COMMITTEE - DBE AND SRSA 15 MARCH 2017 PRESENTATION OUTLINE Implementation of School Sport according to MoU with SRSA Key Strategic Achievements to date Progress on Quality Physical Education implementation Constraining Factors to School Sport...